Friday, August 10, 2012

Ceci n'est pas un chou

After fifty hours of painting, I've finally finished my latest piece from the Tasting Room series: a purple cabbage measuring 48" x 48". By my second day of work, I had convinced myself I was going blind after looking up from my painting and marvelling at a spectacle of purple swirls and flashing white lights. Indeed, sketching this piece by eye was no small feat. I learned to be patient with my process, and I learned that purple cabbages are works of art in and of themselves. I also learned several new cabbage recipes after taking the inspiration photos for this piece (my favourite being fish tacos with a purple cabbage slaw). 

I quite enjoy the floral aesthetic of this piece, and the irony that accompanies it. From a design perspective, I also enjoy the look of a large circle framed by an oversized square. I definitely see more purple cabbages in my future. 

This piece will be exhibited at Art Interiors in Forrest Hill Village, and in February, it will be featured in The Artist Project Toronto. To see a video of this piece in progress, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJZCB1RILk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks again to The Ontario Arts Council for supporting this project!

Tasting Room - Cabbage, Acrylic on Canvas, 48" x 48"

In other news, I've been working with esteemed Montreal photographer Christina Esteban toward creating wedding portraits for newly married or engaged couples. This has been such a thrilling experience, especially as I look forward to my own wedding in three weeks time! For more information about Christina's work, please visit: http://www.christinaestebanphotography.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment