Monday, February 18, 2013

The Penny

Here it is! My final piece for The Artist Project 2013. It isn't an avocado or a Hershey's Kiss, but it's a subject near and dear to my heart: the penny. My late grandmother used to pick them up off the sidewalk; she was famous for her penny collection. Motivated by nostalgia and superstition, I now pick up discarded pennies that, I believe, were left for me by my bubby.    

The Penny, Acrylic on Canvas, 48" x 48"

This year, the Artist Project will be hosting a competition showcasing artwork based on the theme, "Faces." Selected by a panel of judges, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd winners will receive cash prizes, and visitors can vote for their favourite entry in the People's Choice Award. When I discovered this year's theme, I was determined to paint the Queen's face on a penny. My connection to this subject is now mirrored on a broader scale, as the penny -- the smallest denomination of Canadian currency -- has taken on a new cultural importance since it was discontinued. 

I invite you to see this piece at The Artist Project, opening this Thursday evening at 7pm. The show runs from February 21-24. Click below for more information, and thanks for reading! http://www.theartistprojecttoronto.com/dates-times-location/

No comments:

Post a Comment